Find out how to cook Chinese Style Vegetarian steamed bun | 柳叶包, a traditional and delicious Chinese dish.
Normally, Chinese people shape this vegetarian steamed bun like a willow leaf. When I was a little girl my grandmother used to tell me it was a steamed mouse .
Table of Contents
1. Cooking Time
Cooking time: 3hours approx
Servings: 5 people
❣️600g plain flour
❣️360ml lukewarm water
Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the water, and set aside for 10 minutes until you see foam floating on the top.
Add the mixture in the flour and make a smooth and soft dough ( knead for 15 minutes).
Drizzle a bit of oil at the bottom of the container you used to make the dough, cover, and put in a warm place until it has doubled in size. It typically takes around 2 hours.
❣️500g Bok choy
❣️400g soft tofu
❣️300g shiitake mushroom
❣️Quarter tea spoon Chinese five spices powder
❣️5 table spoons of vegetable cooking oil
❣️Two table spoons of light colour soy sauce
❣️One table spoon dark colour soy sauce
❣️Two table spoons sesame oil
❣️3 or 4 spring onions
❣️1 tea spoon salt
a. Prepare the filling
– Blanch the Bok choy (or Chinese white cabbage), then chop into small pieces. Use a muslin cloth to squeeze the liquid out.
– Cut the tofu into small cubes, blanch and squeeze out the excess liquid.
– Cut off the mushroom stems, chop the mushrooms into small pieces
– Heat up the wok, add the cooking oil and scramble the eggs into small bits
– Squash the tofu and add it into the wok. Stir for a while, add all the seasonings except the sesame oil.
– Add the chopped mushrooms and stir for a few seconds
– Turn off the fire, let the cooked ingredients cool down for a bit then add the chopped Bok choy
– Add the sesame oil , and mix everything together
c. Making the buns
– Cut the dough into quarters, then roll the first quarter into a tail shape (we cut the dough for convenience, but we repeat the same process for all the quarters),
– Cut the tail into small pieces. Each piece is about 30g in weight
– Roll each piece in a circle shape of 10cm diameter
– Put a spoonful of filling in the centre of the skin wrap, then fold the skin from right to left into a willow leaf shape.
– Set the buns for 20 minutes after you shape them.
d. Steam the bun:
– Put the buns in the steamer, leave a bit of space between each bun. Cover the lid and steam for 12 minutes
– Wait for 3 more minutes before opening the lid.
– Take out the buns gently in order not to break them.